September Fishing Sessions: 09/06 - Philly Fun Fishing Fest on the Schuylkill River

Hello, Readers! 


As cited in a previous post, all of my fishing sessions will be posted as individual posts henceforth. The main objective of doing so is to "facilitate" the use of the search engine on the Blog (the little search tab on top of the page).

Also, please take in consideration that my time is still very limited due to college (this is my last semester at Temple University). Thus, I still have a lot to catch up. The plan for now is to post all my fishing sessions from September to November, and then work on new informative posts for the Blog, fix old posts (i.e. finish my post on Northern Snakeheads), etc. I'll try to upload one fishing session every 1-3 days. So, bear with me. :)

--- September 6th, 2014 ---

Location: Schuylkill River (between Locust and Chestnut streets)
Time: 7:00-11:00 a.m.

Fishes caught:

-- 1 Striped Bass

Before anything else, I would like all readers to know about the "Philly Fun Fishing Fest," which is an annual fishing derby provided by the Philadelphia Water Department, the SRDC (a.k.a. Schuylkill River Development Corporation), and other local organizations. I've consecutively participated in the competition for the past 3 years, since 2011. Take note that this is a free event, not to mention that a fishing license is NOT necessary during the time of the derby! For more details on it, you may access my posts for the Philly Fun Fishing Fest 2011, 2012, and 2013:

Philly Fun Fishing Fest 2011 (October 8th) --> won a prize through the raffle.
Philly Fun Fishing Fest 2012 (September 8th) --> conflict with 2012 Fish-A-Thon.
Philly Fun Fishing Fest 2013 (September 7th) --> won for most fish category.    

For the 2014 Philly Fun Fishing Fest, I spent most of my time talking to folks. So, more talking than fishing! I had the pleasure to see my friend Eddie Stone participate AND win a prize at the competition. Same for my friend Jose N. -- a fellow who won many of my Catfish Tourney Series. I also became friends with some other folks, including my now good fishing friend Bryan KL (this one got the fishing fever lately. Heh).

The action was considerably slow in comparison to previous years; however, folks still caught their fair share of Channel Catfish! Other Species of fish included small Striped Bass, 1 small American Shad (won the category of smallest fish), very few White Perch, some American Eel, and few Sunnies.

I finished the day with 1 small Striped Bass (no photo), which I was confident that it was going to win me the "smallest fish" category. That was until a kid pulled a 3 inch American Shad on a piece of nightcrawler. My hopes were shattered then...hehe.

Photos of the event are below:

The crowd competition between Locust and Walnut streets. My friends Eddie and Bryan are somewhere between the mix.

After the event, the winners for each category were announced. Also, the event holds a raffle system each year; thus, everyone has an opportunity of walking out of the event with a small prize! 

Don't be sad if you missed the 2014 Philly Fun Fishing Fest. There's always a next year! If you are willing to participate in the 2015 Philly Fun Fishing Fest, just keep in mind that it usually happens around the months of September-October. You may subscribe to the SRDC mail-list for news on the event, or just google "2015 Philly Fun Fishing Fest" around the month of August.

Best of luck to all of us,

Long Days and Pleasant Nights,

Sincerely,

Leo S.