March Fishing Sessions: 03/09 - Catfishing on the Schuylkill Banks

Hello, Readers! 

Here is my super short report for March 9th:

--- March 9th, 2015 ---

Location: Tidal Schuylkill River (Schuylkill Banks)
Time: 11:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.

Fishes caught:

-- None

Air temperatures were finally in the high 50's, but water temperatures were still just above 32F. With such great weather, who could have stayed at home, right? Hah. So, I ended up hitting the Schuylkill Banks in hopes of catching some Channel Catfish (Ictalurus punctatus).

I arrived on the spot around 11 a.m.. I sat three rods for Catfish -- two with frozen Bunker (Brevoortia tyrannus) and one with cut American Eel (Anguilla rostrata). I used a slip-sinker setup: 2oz. bullet sinker, medium size snap swivel, and nylawire leader with size 5/0 circle hooks. In other words, I was targeting them all the way down. 

As mentioned above, air temperatures were finally between 40-50F; however, the River was still a little bit iced up (<5%). As a matter of fact, the ground was still frozen solid: it was quite a challenge to put those rod holders in there. Haha.

After seven hours of fishing, I didn't even get one bite! My friend Peter S. joined me around noon and left around 3 p.m., finishing his day without a single bite either. Overall, it was a very tough and frustrating day...

A nice view of the Schuylkill Banks between Chestnut and Walnut Streets. Note the left over ice on the ground. :)

Best of luck for all of us,

Long Days and Pleasant Nights,

Sincerely,

Leo S.

0 comments:

Post a Comment