April Fishing Sessions: 04/15 - Multi-Species Fishing at the Delaware Canal in Yardley, PA.

Hello, Blog Readers!

Today I'm bringing you my fishing sessions for April 15th:

--- April 15th, 2015 ---

Location: Delaware Canal (Yardley, PA)
Time: 10:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.

Fishes caught:

-- 5 Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss)
-- 1 Pumpkinseed (Lepomis gibbosus)
-- 1 Bluegill X Green Sunfish Hybrid (Lepomis macrochirus X Lepomis cyanellus)
-- 2 Green Sunfish (Lepomis cyanellus)

Below are the highlights for this fishing session:

The video is about seventeen minutes long and the "catching" starts after three minutes. Don't forget to watch it in HD (1080p50)! If you enjoy watching my videos, please support the YouTube channel by liking them and subscribing. :)

I went to the Delaware Canal in hopes of catching some Rainbow Trout and Largemouth Bass. To tell you folks the truth, my expectations for the Trout were quite low. After all, many friends had told me already that they didn't limit out over there after the opening day. Heh...so, I went down to investigate. 

My setup in the video consists of a Cortland Endurance 9' noodle rod with a Shimano Symetre 4000FL and 12lbs Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon line. Through the course of the video, I used the following lures/baits: (1) nightcrawlers on a size #6 Eagle Claw hook; (2) a golden Trout Magnet; (3) a Berkley Gulp! Alive Minnow -- 1" long; and (4) a Thomas Fishing Lures E.P. Series in-line spinner, 1/8 oz., nickel-gold.

As portrayed in the video, I started fishing the Canal at Yardley right at its lower boundary for Trout Approved Waters. In other words, I was fishing very close to the water gate. On the map, that would be right next to the S. Canal St.. I tied up my in-line spinner and started casting at a 45º angle, downstream. I got a couple bites on the spinner, but no hook ups (one bite felt pretty good too). That was when I saw three folks fishing right next to the water gate -- each one of them was carrying a single Rainbow Trout and they were all using Power Bait! 

Since my spinner was already tied up and ready to go, I kinda wanted to fish the current in the outlet portion of the water gate before switching to a Power Bait setup. While passing through the shallow pool of water that divides the inlet and outlet portions of the gate, I noticed some fish in it! That's when my whole game-plan changed and I switched to nightcrawlers on a size #6 hook. Heh.

The rest is portrayed in the video: I was able to pull some nice Trout out of that little shallow area, as well as some Sunnies. There was also a nice Chain Pickerel (Esox niger) sunbathing over there; however, it wouldn't hit anything! 

Photos of the session are below:

One of the multiple Rainbow Trout of the day. :)

Another beautiful stocked Trout. Who would have thought that they were all hiding in that little shallow pool, eh? Heh.

A small Green Sunfish from the Delaware Canal.

Green Sunfish X Bluegill Hybrid. As mentioned in the video, the yellow coloration on the anal and soft dorsal fins are good indicators of Green Sunfish. The vertical stripes and blue operculum are Bluegill indicators.

A colorful Pumpkinseed. Small, but they are always beautiful! 

"Things that you don't see when you stay at home:" A dead Rainbow Trout at the Delaware Canal. It was a good size too!  
  
Best of luck for all of us,

Long Days and Pleasant Nights,

Sincerely,

Leo S.

0 comments:

Post a Comment