August Fishing Sessions: 08/05 - Exploring Different Bodies of Water around Fort Mifflin (Eastwick, PA)

Hello, Blog Readers!

Before bringing you my fishing session for August 5th, I would like to thank the Philadelphia Inquirer and its staff for writing such a wonderful article about the Extreme Philly Fishing community in Philadelphia, PA. Summarizing...the August 2nd Sunday edition of the Philadelphia Inquirer portrayed an article on the fishing community in Philadelphia, featuring Extreme Philly Fishing! Thus, I would like to use this opportunity to thank the wonderful journalist who spent hours writing this article -- Madeline Conway, and the professional photographer who came down in the middle of a very hot Summer day to take photos for the article -- Ben Mikesell. Once again, I give many thanks to the Inquirer itself: thanks for portraying the urban fishing culture in Philadelphia!

Extreme Philly Fishing made up to the A2 page of the August 2nd Sunday Philadelphia Inquirer newspaper. :)

Also, I would like to thank my friend Michael Hsiao from "1rod1reelfishing" for contributing his fishing story; and my friends Peter S. and John L. as well. 

For those who missed the Sunday edition, there is an online version of the article here

As I have mentioned previously, there wouldn't be "Extreme Philly Fishing" without a proper fishing community. So, FISH ON, fellow anglers! This city has much to offer when it comes to our sport.

Also, please don't forget that there are plenty of events coming up! The video below highlights the upcoming events that I will be hosting:

The following events are coming up soon: (1) Angler's Get Together Dinner on August 30th; (2) The 7th Catfish Tourney on the Banks on October 4th; and (3) a 2k YouTube Subscribers Give-Away Contest! Don't forget to watch the video in HD quality (1080p50)! If you enjoy watching my videos, please support my YouTube Channel by liking and subscribing! 
Now, here is my fishing session for August 5th:

--- August 5th, 2015 ---

Location: Nameless Ponds at Fort Mifflin (Eastwick, PA)
Time: 9:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m.

Fishes caught:

-- None

Video:

Even though I didn't catch any fish that day, I did make a video about my friend Visal and his "quest" for Northern Snakeheads (Channa argus). Highlights below:

The video above portrays my friend Visal's quest of catching 100 Northern Snakeheads in one Summer season at the FDR Park (Meadow Lake). For more information on Meadow Lake, click here for a full introductory post on it.
Goal:

The main goal of the day was to explore a couple nameless ponds around Fort Mifflin and scout them for the presence of Northern Snakeheads.

Setup:

My setup for this fishing session consisted of a Cortland Endurance 9' noodle rod with a Shimano Symetre 4000FL and 12lbs Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon line. Throughout the course of the day, I used the following types of rigs/baits/lures: (1) a Thomas E.P. series in-line spinner, 1/8 oz., nickel/gold color; (2) a 5" Gary Yamamoto Senko on a 5/0 Gamakatsu Worm hook; (3) a Bubblegum Zoom Fluke on a 5/0 Gamakatsu Worm hook; (4) a 1" Gulp! Alive minnow on a 1/64 oz. Trout Magnet jighead; and (5) a size #6 Eagle claw hook with a Trout Magnet.

Summary:

My friend Visal R. invited me to explore this very exciting [and hidden] nameless pond by Fort Mifflin, Eastwick, PA. Supposedly, there were Northern Snakeheads in it!

We arrived at Fort Mifflin around 9:30 a.m.. After we got out of the car, we walked straight to the first nameless pond, right by the abandoned train tracks. We fished the place for a good hour or so without much success! Visal missed two bites -- one on a frog and one on a Zoom Fluke, and I actually "missed" a bite on a weighted float. Hah. As I was twitching the float for some action, a Snakehead decided to hit. Pretty neat! 

Additionally, I decided to use thirty minutes of my fishing time there to clean up a new spot by the hidden lake! It turned out to be pretty swell; though, it took some blood and sweat to open the place up! 

After losing our hopes on the little hidden pond, Visal and I were really thinking about leaving already. That's when something really cool happened: my friend was scouting another nameless pond around the area when he suddenly saw a couple fry feeding on top of the water. Among the fry, something BIG surfaced for a moment. It didn't take us long to realize that we hit jackpot! In other words, we found a big Snakehead "mom" guarding her "kids." Pumped by our discovery, we threw a variety of lures in front of the big mama. However, in the end, the fish was way smarter than us. Thus, we were unable to entice the beast to bite! 

By 12:00 p.m., we had explored three nameless bodies of water around Fort Mifflin with confirmed Northern Snakehead populations. We were also tired and dehydrated from all the walking in "uneven ground" exercise. Since those ponds were so close to the Delaware River, my hypothesis was that the fishes there were trapped when the Delaware flooded in the past. To support the hypothesis even further, only two Species of fish were found in all three ponds: Northern Snakeheads and Eastern Mosquitofish (Gambusia holbrooki) -- one predator and one bait-fish. I did try a good amount of time for Sunfish and other smaller Species of fish; however, I ended up in failure. It's worth to mention that there were plenty of frogs and tadpoles around; therefore, plenty of food for the Snakeheads to thrive.

Although Visal and I didn't catch anything, it was still a very productive day...

A bonus video is above. The short video portrays the mama Snakehead's fry on one of the nameless ponds by Fort Mifflin.

Photos:

Below are the photos for this fishing session:

This Pond right next to the Fort Mifflin entrance looked quite neat! I didn't really try to fish it; however, I did see some top water activity in the morning.

Visal casting at one of the hidden ponds around Fort Mifflin. I say "hidden," but they are really not hard to find! All one needs is to walk the train tracks and look for them.

"Things that you don't see when you stay at home:" A cross in the middle of nowhere! Literally...nowhere. Pretty creepy if you ask me. Hah.

Best of luck to all of us,

Long Days and Pleasant Nights,

Sincerely,

Leo S.

0 comments:

Post a Comment