August Fishing Sessions: 08/09 -- Exploring the Non-Tidal Delaware River and the Giving Pond (Lumberville, PA)

Hello, Blog Readers!

Before I bring you my fishing report for August 9th, I would like to point out that a couple changes were made on the Blog:

(1) I've updated my Basic Fishing Log. Now you guys can view my log from September of 2012 to August of 2015. Every fishing session has been recorded with location and catch, including the Species, the number of fish, etc. Enjoy!

(2) I've changed the title of the donation button on the right side of the tab! I have received a couple donations and I thank you folks very much! As you all know, the main reason why this Blog and everything else is delayed is because this is not my main line of work at the moment. As a reminder, I am a married individual with a busy life, not to mention that I am a mathematics/physics private instructor. Therefore, every cent donated through the Blog helps and every cent will go towards fishing! More donations eventually mean that I can work less as a tutor and spend more time on my fishing social media. Once again -- many thanks to all those who have donated and if you like my work in the community, donations are always welcome!

(3) I've included two new tabs on the right side of the Blog: "EPF in the Media" and "Upcoming Fish Events." From now onward, all events hosted by EPF will be under the top tab. The "EPF in the Media" tab has external hyperlinks to newspaper articles featuring EPF, etc. 

(4) I've changed a couple rules for photo submissions on the Facebook Public Album. Folks can still submit photos; however, please read the new set of regulations for doing so. I pretty much reinforced the "poor fish handling" section. From now onward, fishes with dirt on them are no longer allowed on the Public Album. Notice that EPF encourages folks to practice safe fish handling; thus, that includes treating them as humane as possible! Letting them splash on the ground is certainly a sign of poor fish handling, not to mention that doing so damages the fish's slime coat -- one of their defenses against diseases. Solutions to this problem includes a quick catch-and-release on the water, buying a landing mat for the fish, laying them somewhere smooth and damp (i.e. grass), etc.

Alrighty...now, here is my fishing report for August 9th:

--- August 9th, 2015 ---

Location: Delaware River & The Giving Pond (Lumberville and north of it)
Time: 6:00 a.m.-1:30 p.m.

Fishes caught:

-- 5 Bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus)

Video:

Since this fishing session was extremely poor, there is no video for it. :)

Goal:

The main goal for the day was to explore the non-tidal Delaware River around Lumberville.

Setup:

My setup for this fishing session consisted of a Cortland Endurance 9' noodle rod with a Shimano Symetre 4000FL and 12lbs Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon line. Throughout the course of the day, I used the following types of rigs/baits/lures: (1) a Thomas E.P. series in-line spinner, 1/8 oz., nickel/gold color; (2) a 5" Gary Yamamoto Senko on a 5/0 Gamakatsu Worm hook; (3) a 1" Gulp! Alive minnow on a 1/64 oz. Trout Magnet jighead; and (4) a size #10 Eagle claw hook with a Trout Magnet.

Summary:

My good friend and photographer Bryan KL took me to the non-tidal Delaware River around the Lumberville area. It was a first time for me and I must tell you, folks -- the non-tidal Delaware River is a whole different beast than its tidal section! The non-tidal portion of the "might D" was just gorgeous: the water was crystal clear; there was a presence of different Species of clams; etc. 

After witnessing the rapids, pools, and eddies of that gigantic "creek," I finally came to believe the rumors that the Upper Delaware held Muskellunge (Esox masquinongy), Fallfish (Semotilus corporalis), Smallmouth Bass (Micropterus dolomieu), etc. 

Despite its beaut, my friend Bryan and I didn't do very well that day! After hours and hours of fishing, Bryan landed one measly Smallmouth Bass and I had nothing with me. At a certain point, I was so bored with the fishing that I started to collect freshwater Clams for a photo (the photo is actually below). Note that collecting clams for a photo is fine; however, taking them home is not fine! As the PA Fish and Boat Commission states, all freshwater clams are closed all year round for purposes of preservation. After taking my neat photo, I buried the clams among the rocks and left them to thrive in the River.

After getting skunked in the non-tidal Delaware River, Bryan and I realized that we still had a little bit of fishing time left on the clock. Thus, we decided to drive north, towards this one place called "The Giving Pond." Upon arrival, soon we realized that shore access there was very limited. Even so, this difficulty did not stop us from throwing a couple casts there! Heh. Bryan fished for Largemouth Bass while I did a some Multi-Species Fishing. Unfortunately, even with my Multi-Species, I ended up landing only Bluegill! Albeit, I did lose a small type of Catfish on a piece of cut bait. 

After all the heat and no fish, we decided to call it a day! 

Photos:

Below are the photos for this fishing session:

A nice photo of the Delaware Canal. The only problem was: there was no water in the canal at all! LOL. However, fear not, fellas -- the government is building a new lock up the non-tidal Delaware to fix this problem.

A very interesting set of freshwater Mussels. I tried to identify their Species; however, I am no mussel expert! According to local Aquatic Biologist Robert L., they are all Eastern Elliptio (Elliptio complanata). They were returned to the water after briefly being outside. 

A small Bluegill form the Giving Pond. Apparently, the pond didn't give us much. It didn't even give us a Largemouth Bass (Micropterus salmoides)! 

Bryan KL in pursuit of his 5lber Largemouth Bass. Note all the structure in this place? Bass heaven! Highly recommended for small boats and kayaks. 

On our way back, Bryan stopped briefly at the Delaware & Raritan Canal. I took this nice shot of it. :)

Best of luck to all of us,

Long Days and Pleasant Nights,

Sincerely,

Leo S.

0 comments:

Post a Comment